Elision Vineyard is in a stunning position on the Jurassic coast, with truly breath-taking views looking south-south east over the vines to the ocean beyond the nearby village of Wooton Fitzpaine. Its warm coastal position is part of the reason the vineyard has never suffered an air frost, something which many UK vineyards suffer from. The vineyard is in the process of moving from a non organic approach to growing grapes to an eco sustainable method of vineyard management. Grape Vibes is looking for a Vineyard Manager who has experience of using eco sustainable methods to grow grapes.
This is an excellent opportunity to join an expanding team where you will have responsibility for maintaining and/or increasing the quality and yield of Elision grapes using organic practices and methods. In addition, the Vineyard Manager will build necessary relationships with customers and partnerships to buy Elision’s grapes and eventually make its own branded wine. You will be an integral part of the Grape Vibes team striving to achieve the Company vision.
Working with, and directly reporting to the Managing Director, you will be involved in all aspects of the annual viticulture programme. The role can be physically demanding with the majority of the work taking place outdoors and operating equipment in the vineyard. The role will involve working a planned schedule during the growing season and harvest.
Duties will includes:
- All general vineyard operations: pruning, tying, shoot selection, wire lifting, picking, cultivating, thinning, bud rubbing, managing a spray plan using only suitable and authorised products, managing organic practices, frost monitoring and prevention, canopy management, replanting and harvesting;
- All vineyard tractor operations: spraying, mowing, leaf trimming/removal, ploughing;
- General vineyard site maintenance: involved in all aspects of the upkeep of the site;
- Equipment maintenance: maintaining a high level of servicing for all machinery and equipment;
- Direct, motivate and train vineyard staff;
- Responsible for stock take on vineyard – chemicals, consumables and assets;
- Coordinating and supervising seasonal labour workforces, and effectively communicating and working with them to ensure clear understanding of policies and procedures relating to health and safety;
- Organic practices: ensuring all practices meet with organic requirements and vision;
- Ensuring that work is carried out correctly and that assistance is provided to workers or contactors where necessary, always ensuring that everyone is treated with respect;
- The ability to provide accurate harvest estimates and work within allocated budgets;
- Ability to identify and evaluate any foreseeable problems at the vineyard and recommend timely and economic solutions.
To be successful in this role you will need to demonstrate strong attention to detail, that you can work on your own initiative or as part of a team, motivated, excellent time keeping and ability to create and maintain good working relationships as well as:
- Minimum of 2 years experience as a Vineyard Manager, or as an Assistant Vineyard Manager on a large vineyard;
- Experience of moving from non organic vineyard management and to an eco sustainable growing environment would be desirable;
- Whilst a degree in Agriculture (or a related discipline) is not a mandatory requirement, it will set applicants apart. If you do not have a degree, but have built a comparable level of understanding/experience, please describe how you have gained this;
- PA1, PA2 and PA3 spray certificates;
- Full eligibility to work in the UK;
- Towing licence (not essential, though preferred);
- Forklift user qualification (not essential, though preferred);
- A valid UK driving licence;
- Good skills with the Microsoft software packages, in particular word and excel;
- Good written and spoken English;
- A willingness to perform all functions required to ensure that the vineyard operates effectively;
- A strong and proven work ethic;
- Leadership and decision-making skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, whether with the employer, the seasonal workforce or the public;
- The ability to host groups of people on tours and be the face of the vineyard.
The employers are a young family who are living out a lifelong passion to develop a farm and retreat business with a vineyard within it. There is an expanding team already in place and you will join as part of the founding team. This is an exciting time for the project. We are enthusiastic, hardworking, dynamic, creative and like to do things well and with integrity.
You will join a hardworking and motivated team who are supportive and collaborative, whilst at the same time focused on delivering their individual responsibilities. You will have the opportunity to learn new skills as well as develop existing ones. This is an exciting time to be joining the business as you will have the opportunity to grow with us and have an input on how we operate.
Salary: Circa £30,000 plus an attractive bonus and accommodation/relocation package for the right candidate.
Company Pension Scheme membership